I'm so excited to share the recipe for Lilene's Chocolate-Dipped Fruitcake Squares which she lovingly referred to as Retrops (Porter's spelled backwards) from my latest release, A HEARTFELT CHRISTMAS PROMISE. Don't say no to fruitcake until you've tried it this way.
Lilene’s Chocolate-dipped Fruitcake Squares
It’s your choice. Take a shortcut and make your treats from sliced up store-bought fruitcake and dunk the slices or squares in milk or dark chocolate, or use this recipe.
Either way you’re sure to end up with a delightful and unexpected goody to share. The best description I’ve heard is that these taste like a banana split only without the ice cream. All the yummy goodness and no brain freeze.
Fruit Cake Ingredients:
¾ cup butter softened not melted
1 ¾ cups packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 TBL vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped candied pineapple
1 ¾ cups red and green candied cherries, halved
· In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
· Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each, then add vanilla and beat just until mixed well.
· Add flour to mix, then fold in walnuts with a spatula.
· Spread evenly into a greased large rectangle baking pan.
· Sprinkle the pineapple, and cherries evenly across the pan, then press the candied fruit lightly into the mixture.
· Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned.
· Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. I like to let my squares rest a day before I robe them in chocolate.
· Dunk each square into your choice of milk or dark chocolate and cool. Enjoy!
Download your copy of the recipe here.
Sign up for Nancy’s newsletter at www.NancyNaigle.com.
BUY THE BOOK