I'm so excited to share the recipe for Lilene's Chocolate-Dipped Fruitcake Squares which she lovingly referred to as Retrops (Porter's spelled backwards) from my latest release, A HEARTFELT CHRISTMAS PROMISE. Don't say no to fruitcake until you've tried it this way.
Lilene’s Chocolate-dipped Fruitcake Squares
It’s your choice. Take a shortcut and make your treats from sliced up store-bought fruitcake and dunk the slices or squares in milk or dark chocolate, or use this recipe.
Either way you’re sure to end up with a delightful and unexpected goody to share. The best description I’ve heard is that these taste like a banana split only without the ice cream. All the yummy goodness and no brain freeze.
Fruit Cake Ingredients:
¾ cup butter softened not melted
1 ¾ cups packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 TBL vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped candied pineapple
1 ¾ cups red and green candied cherries, halved
· In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
· Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each, then add vanilla and beat just until mixed well.
· Add flour to mix, then fold in walnuts with a spatula.
· Spread evenly into a greased large rectangle baking pan.
· Sprinkle the pineapple, and cherries evenly across the pan, then press the candied fruit lightly into the mixture.
· Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned.
· Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. I like to let my squares rest a day before I robe them in chocolate.
· Dunk each square into your choice of milk or dark chocolate and cool. Enjoy!
Download your copy of the recipe here.